Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bittersweet 7

A day at 79a's house was great! It was just what I needed. 79a's house is huge and
usually filled with her brothers. She's the only daughter her parents have, and the youngest 
child, so she pretty much got whatever she wanted. We watched movies on her gigantic
TV screen, gossiped, did our nails, the usual girl stuff.

We were eating chocolate cake in the kitchen when her mother asked her to come help 
her with something. I finished my cake while I waited.

"No you sent the wrong papers! …. I have them right here!" A manly voice echoed from the 
hallways. I could here it getting louder.
"They didn’t tell me anything! … Fine e-mail them to me as soon as they arrive!" Mayed 
annoyingly clicked his phone off and opened the fridge.


I just sat there without saying a word.


Mayed is 79a's older brother. He's going to attend his second year of university at Yale. 
He's also the most handsome amongst his brothers.


I sat there in silence as he took out a jug of orange juice, walked over to the cabinet to 
get a glass, and poured the juice into it.
He finally noticed me sitting there when he was halfway through his glass.
"Noora!" He blurted, and spilled orange juice all over the counter. I quickly got up.
"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!" I apologized and grabbed a small towel to wipe the mess.
"Wallah I didn’t see you there…I.."
"Laa laa 3adi wallah." And continued wiping.
"Let me help you at least." He grabbed a couple of napkins and wiped the rest of the juice.
I watched his arm extend to the farthest point on the counter where the juice had been 
spilled. His arm muscles flexed under his tight white faneela.

"Hey sorry t2a5art…MAYED?" 79a shrieked surprised. "What are you doing here?"
"Uhh.." He opened his mouth but no words came out.
"Matst7ee enta? Can't you see I have company?" She referred to me. "Yallah bara3!" 
And she pushed him out of the kitchen.
"I'm sooo sorry Nooro I thought he wouldn’t be home.." She apologized.
"Laa its okay wallah!"
"Ba5abr baba 3laih bychoof!"
I laughed at her. Wallah she always gets her way.
7laila Mayed. He's grown up so much. I haven’t seen him in probably 3 years. He's 
become very manly. Looks like I should come over to 79a's more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment